CELEBRATIONS CONSECRATED THE CATHOLIC CATHEDRAL OF ST. JOSEPH IN SOFIA, newspaper 'Construction city' No.26/22-28 May.2006
Celebrations consecrated the Catholic Cathedral of St. Joseph in Sofia on May 21. The first stone for the construction of the cathedral was consecrated by Pope John Paul II during his visit to Bulgaria in May 2002 and the first sod was made on July 2 that year.
The construction of the cathedral was financed by donations from Catholic organizations. Among the biggest donors to the smoothing of the church were Christians and Catholics of Germany.
The design project was developed by a company EKSA leaded by architect Konstantin Peev. Consultant to the project was architect George Guzhulov. Structural design was developed by Prof. Theodor Naidenov. General contractor was Komans 2000. Construction consulting activities were exercised by Stroykonsult 2000 LTD.
For the dedication of the building presence of the Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Angelo Sudan has been planned, and many Catholics in the country and diplomats.
The new Catholic cathedral is located in an area of 1700 square meters to replace the old unfinished, that was destroyed in the bombing of Sofia on March 30, 1944.
The complex, which has a total built area of 4000 square meters, consisting of Catholic church, Cathedral of St. Joseph, parish house and two underground levels.